1.惯用口语句子:
Nowadays the students' burdens are too heavy.
如今学生的负担太重了。
They have to do a lot of reading.
他们不得不读很多书。
Their homework piles up high.
他们的作业堆得可高了。
burden n. 负担,担子
Being illiterate in this world just won't do.
现在这个世界没有文化可不行。
It won't do without knowledge in this society.
现在这个社会没有知识可不行。
It's hard to find a good job not being well-educated.
若没受过良好的教育,想找好工作就难了。
I believe study is the only way out.
我认为学习是惟一的出路。
illiterate a. 没有文化的
well-educated a. 受过良好的教育的
Study is really a pain in the neck.
学习真是件让人头痛的事。
a pain in the neck“令人讨厌、头疼、烦恼的人或事”
I specialize in English literature.
= I major in English literature.
= My major is English literature.
我现在主修英国文学。
specialize v. 专攻,专门从事
major v. 主修 n. (大学中的)主修科目
Are you busy with your study this term?
你这学期学习忙吗?
Do you have a tight schedule this term?
你这学期课程安排紧吗?
schedule n. 时间表,课程表
“be busy with”意思是“忙于”,后面一般接名词。
How many compulsory courses do you have?
= How many required courses do you have?
你有几门必修课?
compulsory a. 必修的
required a. (美)必修的
I think you're overloaded.
我想你已经超负荷了。
I'm afraid your course load is a little too heavy.
恐怕你的课程负担太重了。
I think you'd better carry a little load in the first term.
我认为你在学期课程负担轻一些。
overload v. 使超载,使负荷过多
load n. 负担,负荷
David failed the math exam.
大卫的数学考试没有及格。
I passed the English test this time.
这次我英语测验通过了。
fail v. 不及格
pass v. (考试等)及格,通过
I'm up to my ears in study.
我的学习可忙了。
up to one's ears/elbows/eyes”热衷于,埋头于”
I usually review for the test at the last minute.
我通常在关头才复习备考。
review v. 复习功课,温习功课
at the last minute“在一刻”
I need to cram for tomorrow's test.
我得为应付明天的测验而临时抱佛脚了。
cram v. 仓促准备,做临时应急准备
2.实用对话
On Studying谈论学习
Pool: You seem to be doing all right, Meng.
波尔:孟,你看上去进展不错。
Meng: I am, but l still have to do a lot of reading.
孟:是的,不过我得读很多书。
Pool: There's a lot of reading. but I think that's pretty normal for postgraduate work. I imagine a big part of the problem is that it's all in your second language.
波尔:阅读量是很大,不过我觉得这对研究生的功课来说是正常的。我想你的问题大部分在于你得用外语来阅读。
Meng: I suppose I'll just have to leam to read faster.
孟:看来我得想办法提高阅读速度了。
Pool: How about the seminars? Can you follow the discussions?
波尔:那讨论课怎么样啊?你能理解大家的讨论吗?
Meng: Well. I can usually follow what the others say, but I'm not used to being in a seminar and I never know what to say.
孟:嗯,一般别人的发言我都能听懂,不过我不太习惯参加讨论课,我不知道该说什么。
Pool: Don't be shy, speak out. Seminars are very important in postgraduate work. As I see it, most of the benefit of the seminars comes from the exchange of ideas.
波尔:不要害羞嘛,大胆地说出来。讨论课在研究生的功课中是很重要的。在我看来,讨论课的好处来自于思想的交流。
Meng: Yes. I'm beginning to agree with you. I've gained some very valuable insights from the others in my class.
孟:对,我开始同意你的看法了。我从班上其他人那里长了不少有用的见识呢。
Pool: But you should share your insights with us. I'm sure you have a lot to offer, just as the others do.
波尔:但你也应该让大家分享一下你的见解呀。我敢肯定你和别人一样,也有很多好的见解要讲呢。
3.详细解说
1.“be/get used to”意为“习惯于”,“to”的后面要接名词或动词ing形式。
2.“speak out”的意思是“大胆地说出来”,常用于“speak out about/against”的结构,例如:Five students who had spoken out against the regime were arrested.(大胆声讨这个政权的五名学生被捕了。)注意,“speak up”表示“大点儿声”,例如:Could you speak up,please?(您能大点儿声吗?)另外,“speak up”还可表示“说了点儿什么,发言(尤其是发表自己的观点)”,例知:There was a brief silence, then George spoke up.(一阵短暂的沉默后乔治发了言。)“speak up for sb.”表示“发言支持某人,为某人辩护”,例如:He is willing to speak up for the women.(他愿意为妇女辩护。)
4.文化洗礼
美国大学的奖学金种类
从严格意义上讲,海外学生有资格申请的所谓的美国大学“奖学金”应称为“经济资助”。其主要包括以下5类:
1.助学金(FELLOWSHIP):金额、竞争最激烈的非服务性奖学金,一般是指全奖;
2.奖学金(SCHOLARSHIP):这是一种荣誉性的奖励,颁发给成绩优异的学生,但金额较少;
3.学费减免(TUITION-WAIVER):金额较少;
4.助研金 (RESEARCH ASSISTANTSHIP AND TEACHING ASSISTANTSHIP):多针对研究生以上级别,属于工资类型;
5.校内打工(ON-CAMPUS JOB):美国移民局规定,国际学生可在校内每周工作20小时,假期可工作40小时,每小时不得低于5美金,因此学生1年中可挣到4000至6000美金或更高。工作岗位一般安排在:图书馆、计算机房、学生餐厅、办公室、学校书店等。