1.惯用口语句子:
Jenny called in sick just now.
珍妮刚才打电话请病假了。
She rang/phoned in sick.
她打电话请病假了。
call/ring/phone in sick“打电话请病假”
I'm sick.
= I feel sick/ill.
我生病了。
I don't feel well.
我感觉不舒服,
l don't feel quite right/well.
我感觉不太舒服。
I feel awful/terrible.
我感觉非常难受。
I'm afraid I can't come today.
恐怕我今天来不了了。
I'm not coming to work.
我不来上班了:
I've got a bad cold.
我得了重感冒。
I have a headache.
我头疼。
I My head is killing me.
我头疼死了。
I'd like to ask for sick leave.
其想请假。
I'd like to ask for leave.我想请假。
leave n. 请假,休假 v. 离开
I'd like to take some time off.
我想休一段时间的假。
I was wondering if I could take this afternoon off.
我在想今天下午是否能请个假。
I need to take a day off.
我想请假。
I need a day off.
我想请假。
I need a vacation.
我需要休假。
I need some rest.
我需要休息,
vacation n. 假期,休假
take...off“请…时间的假”
Can I take two days' leave?
我能请两天假吗?
I'd like to take my leave from next Monday on.
我想从下周一开始请假。
I'd like to apply/ask for three days' leave.
我想申请休三天假。
apply for“申请”
I'd like to put in for one hour's leave.
我想请一个小时的假。
put in for“正式申请”
I was wondering if you could give me leave of absence to attend a computer course.
我想请假上计算机课,不知道您准不准假?
absence n. 不在,缺席
I want to take parental leave to look after my baby.
我想休育婴假回家照顾我的宝宝。
parental a. 父母亲的
parental leave“育婴假”
I've brought a proper sick note.
= I've brought a proper excuse.
我带来一张生病证明。
proper a. 适当的,正确的
“生病证明”的英式说浩为“sick note”,美式说法为“excuse”。
I come here to send in an excuse.
= I come here to send in a sick note.
我来递交生病证明。
Mr. Smith will be in charge during my absence.
我不在的时候,史密斯先生会负责。
He'll be in charge of this while I'm away.
我不在时他会负责这个。
in charge“处于领导、负责或管理的职位”(副词短语)
in charge of“负责,管理”(介词短语)
2.实用对话
Asking for Some Time Off请假
Samantha: Mr. Black, I'd like to take some time off. I've been feeling exhausted these days.
萨曼莎:布莱克先生,我想请假。我这些天感觉太累了。
Mr. Black: That's no problem. Let me see... You still have io days of annual leave left. Is that right?
布莱克先生:没问题。我来看一下…你还有10天年假没休。对吗?
Samantha: Yes. I was wondering if I could take another two weeks off.
萨曼莎:对。我在想能否再多请两周的假。
Mr. Black: That's long leave. How's your project coming along?
布莱克先生:这个假可够长的了。那你的项目进行得怎么样了?
Samantha: The project I'm in charge of now will be done by the end of this week. I'd like to take my leave from next Monday on.
萨曼莎:我现在负责的这个项目到这周结束就能做完。我想从下周一开始休假。
Mr. Black: Well, alright. but you make sure to tie up any loose ends before you leave.
布莱克先生:嗯,那好吧,但是你一定要在走之前把那些细枝末节的结尾工作都弄完。
Samantha: Thank you, Mr. Black. There are no immediate projects coming up at the moment. Mr. Smith will be in charge during
my absence. He's taken part in several projects as my assistant and knows how to maintain
relationships with our clients.
萨曼莎:谢谢您,布莱克先生。目前不会立即有什么新项目。我不在的时候,史密斯先生会负责。他以我助理的身份,也跟着我做了几个项目了,他知道怎样同客户维系关系。
Mr. Black: Great. I hope you have a good relaxation and come back refreshed.
布莱克先生:很好。我希望你好好休息放松,回来工作的时候精神焕发。
Samantha: I will. Many thanks, Mr. Black.
萨曼莎:我会的。非常感谢您,布莱克先生。
3.详细解说
1.“take time off"的意思是“休假,请假”,与“take leave”意思相近。
2.“I was wondering if/whether...”常译为“我在想能不能…”或“我不知道能不能…”,为礼貌用语,常用于请求别人给予帮助时。
3.“tie up loose ends”表示“解决尚待处理的细枝末节问题(以完成一项工作)”,例如: I need to tie up a few loose ends before
I go on vacation.(我去度假之前需要处理一些小事情。)其中“tie up“意为“系好”,“end”表示“末端”。
4.文化洗礼
看看美国人怎么“请假”
假如一个美国人某天不想去上班,他该怎么办?请病假似乎是个不错的选择。的调查发现,大约三分之一的美国上班族在过去一年中曾因“编瞎话”而请假成功。大约10%的美国雇员曾至少三次谎称自己“病了”。
研究人员透露,美国人谎报病假的三个直接原因分别是:要去处理个人私事、想多睡个懒觉和需要轻松一下。其他常见的原因还包括要去参加小孩的活动、天气不好、与朋友有约和面试其他工作等等。调查发现,春天和冬天这两个感冒和过敏性疾病高发的季节,往往就是大家最“热衷”请病假的日子。一般来说,由于涉及个人隐私,美国老板并不会过分追查下属的“病情”。
除了谎称自己因生病而不能上班外,本次调查还发现了很多稀奇古怪的请假理由。比如,当事人会宣称:自己不幸被臭鼬喷了一身难闻的气味、被家里的狗绊倒结果昏迷不醒、汽车抛锚又遇上了劫匪、被警察当成贼给拘留了、鞋子不见了、打保龄球时受伤了、老婆开车把别人家的牛撞死了、被杀手追击、卷发器坏了所以要上美容院烫头、家里的猫把闹钟弄坏了、要顶替丈夫去法院做陪审员、家里养的宠物猴死了、要把祖母的骨灰寄到其他国家安葬、忘记今天是星期一了、昨晚被人在饮料中下药了、大树被风副倒砸坏了汽车,等等等等。据说,很多人在搬出上述奇特的理由后,一般都能请假成功。